Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Sir Wilfrid Laurier Shows Some Tongue

Last Sunday I went to Value Village and got a few skirts, two pairs of shoes and some earrings. I wore one of the pairs of shoes yesterday to work. They are little black heels, very cute, very slightly too small. But I figured, it's a Tuesday. I will try them out while it's not busy and make sure they won't make me trip and spill wine all over someone. It's been a while since I've worn heels though and I love that they click-click-click, but it also makes me very self-conscious. The first thing the girl I work with did when I walked out was look at my feet. She thought they looked good too, and then she chatted about how the afternoon had been. While I prepared a fresh pot of coffee and she went to collect her things, I heard her saying to the cook and my boss "...yeah, she's just trying them out tonight..."

I can't believe they were discussing my footwear about, oh, 55 seconds after I'd walked in. Someone spare me. The cook told me my feet would be sore later and I'm like, thanks for the warning, dude! Not.

It started out very slow but we finally got some people in around 8. My shoes stuck it out admirably, and I even did some of my usual rushed spinning and turning which I had restricted myself from up till then. However, it was heels on tile and after I was really getting into it my coworker said, "Well, you certainly look sober." After that I just spun to the music when there weren't any customers out front.

Side note: macademia nut and hazelnut together are fantastic.

I served two Italian guys, cause I'm lucky. I asked them if they liked their desserts and the first guy said they were great. The second laughed and said "I need a cigarette!" I wasn't sure what you say to that, but I think it meant something good. Very culturally appropriate. Later on this man paid me with a five dollar bill--except the old guy who's on the bill had his tongue sticking out! The man had made a tiny rip in the paper at the mouth and stuck a strip of red paper that said "Beatrice" from our creamers inside. I taped it to my tip jar and laughed at it all evening.

No comments: