Friday, May 11, 2007

Strange Preconceptions

So yesterday, while doing some emergency last-minute Mother's Day shopping, I found two CDs I really wanted both for $ 9.99 each, which makes any day a success. One was the newest Regina Spektor, because really, it was going to happen sooner or later. The other was a Lily Allen album, which I had kind of had my eye out for because her songs were so funny on my latest birthday mix. But based on the three songs of hers I knew, I had a very clear mental image of her before that was not what she looks like at all. Basically I had imagined someone tall and Keira Knightly-looking, except with long blonde hair. She had a deep red and silver background. Instead she's this short chick with black hair on a motorcycle, but wearing a pretty skirt, with a kind of comic-book punk style to it. It's very cool, but so different. And wierd to adjust.
When I first heard Feist, I also imagined a round, cat-eyed girl with sandy-coloured hair with a bit of an attitude, like this girl who once did a poetry reading at Dregs Cafe. And then Leslie Feist looks obviously completely different. It's strange how this affects how you hear music, like the song can actually sound totally different. Also, why does my brain seem to think everyone is blonde? Not in a Duff way, but it's still perverse.
I also just downloaded a ton of Louis and Ella together, and I got some CDs on hold at the library. I love the pursuit of music. It's so productive. And I feel like a rounder person with every new song I find! woot.

Hahahahahahaha ah but it's not cold outside...!

1 comment:

Jenwa said...

lol, what did you end up getting your mom???
i think we should all pitch in and get grandma a spa day at giselle's.
the one that gives a massage and a facial and mani/pedi. it takes like ALL day.