Friday, February 15, 2008

I Heart Daniel Handler

I'm in the middle of reading an interview with Daniel Handler, author of the Series of Unforetunate Events books, and I just had to post this quote.

Q: The series' anti-marketing irony level is so high, with the author, the dust jackets, and the merchandising constantly emphasizing, "Don't read this, don't buy these, they're awful." So you've never had any resistance to that approach from people who don't get the joke?

DH: I love meeting people who have absolutely no sense of irony. It's really fascinating to imagine what it would be like to go through life without understanding even the most basic of ironies. It's sort of like trying to imagine what it's like to walk around without a torso. I find such people sort of charming, even though they usually don't like me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should go on my facebook and look at my profile picture. It is one of my favorites from the trip!

Danica

Vianne said...

Aww, that's a great photo! I hope you realize that I'm going to need copies of a bunch of these.

Anonymous said...

of course of course! I shall make you a cd of them all.